Let Me Find Out!

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Nia


Nia (Purpose)
To make our collective vocation the building and developing of our community in order to restore our people to their traditional greatness.


In 2005 I went on a "pilgrimage" to Washington D.C. to the Millions More Movement ... I need to remember why so many of us traveled so far to see, hear and experience what we waited so long and planned so intently for. Nia.

Since... what has happened in the black community as far as positive changes that were discussed that day so powerfully? Not much.

Millions of us had the same sense of purpose and duty enough to go to our nation's capitol and be a part of something greater than ourselves. We chose to become a part of a day that gave us a historical event of change that sparked millions of black minds to have purpose to gain better a better standard of life for our people. But how many of us have acted on our purposes discussed that day. I humble myself to admit that I have not... as much. And I just started proving my seriousness in March when I got my new job.

Though, that moment and experience changed my life. It took me a moment to act but I gained a renewed sense of purpose. I carried that back to my home and basked in those moments with others who attended and shared that excitement and newfound knowledge with those that could not. We felt like changed people with our torches re-lit, knowing if darkness fell on us as a people, those of us who got the knowledge could light the torches again... so we will no longer stumble and lose direction.

I hope we never lose our senses of passion and faith in the movement. It gave us purpose and continues to help us find what individual responsibilities we need to create and accomplish for the betterment of our people and in the name of the movement. With a new president elect getting inaugurated in a matter of weeks... I hope to finally see things we discussed then and since then finally, finally come to fruition.

Seeing the beautiful face of the man we're putting in the White House backed by his family values and down-to-earth nature, educated and full of change... I have nothing but hope for Nia.

No comments: